What is the Dollar Collective?
Dollar Collective is a group of people doing cool things and brightening our community. Our goal is to 1) do kind and awesome things for others in our community (e.g. Random Acts of Kindness) and 2) make it enjoyable for our members and bring more valuable to their dollar.
How does it work?
1. Join === Members join by contributing money to the collective
2. Propose an Event ==== Each month, members discuss and propose ways we can spend a portion of the money.
3. Vote === Each member votes on their favorite event
4. Action === Members spend the money and complete the event
5. Document + Share === Members document the event and share it online for other members
What kind of things do we do?
Some of our events include: treating a random couple to dinner on Valentines Day; paying for someone’s parking ticket; leaving envelopes full of money for random strangers; planting a tree in a park; funding community and public projects; supporting charitable organizations like Kiva, etc.
How is it fun for members?
This is a main focus for the DC. We document each event, through video, photo and text, and try to capture exactly how the money was spent (ie. transparency) and how it is making a difference. Thus, while the things we do may be “small” acts, we still hope to create differences that we can see. We also try to make this fun and entertaining by choosing fun and interesting activities (duh!).